Florida Library Association Scholarships
The Florida Library Association (FLA) Scholarship Committee is pleased to announce that the application period for the 2015 FLA Scholarships is now open. The scholarships will be awarded in the spring of 2015 and scholarship recipients will be recognized at the 2015 Annual Conference.
The following scholarships are available:
Three (3) FLA MLS Graduate scholarships ($2000 each):
- Student attending the Florida State University MLS graduate program
- Student attending the University of South Florida MLS graduate program
- Minority scholarship for MLS graduate students attending either school
- To qualify for a Minority Scholarship, the candidate must belong to one of the following ethnic groups: Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian/Pacific Islander, or American Indian/Alaska Native.
One Ingram Coutts Academic Scholarship ($1000):
- Available to MLS graduate students wishing to work in a Florida academic library after graduation.
Two scholarships for undergraduate study:
- Student pursuing a bachelor's degree ($750)
- Student pursuing an associate's degree ($350)
The FLA scholarships are available from a dedicated fund and have been given since 1989. This fund is replenished through donations and fundraising activities. The primary fundraising activity is the Silent Auction held at the FLA Annual Conference. The Ingram Coutts Academic Scholarships are made available through the generosity of Ingram Coutts Information Services. Applicants may apply for more than one scholarship if qualified.
- Applicant must be a resident of Florida and have some experience in a Florida library;
- be admitted to an accredited program at a Florida college or university or to a library/information graduate degree program at FSU or USF and not eligible for graduation in May 2015;
- commit to working in a Florida library for a minimum of one year after graduation;
- and be an FLA member in good standing for 2015.
- Applicants must include verification of membership as part of application packet. For proof of membership, contact Julie Murphree at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission of the application packet is Monday, February 9, 2015.
Applications received by Sunday, February 1st will be permitted to make corrections to the application package should deficiencies or omissions be identified by the Scholarship Committee. Applicants submitting on or after, Monday, February 2nd will not have the privilege of making corrections or supplementing the application with missing information.
Complete application packets should be submitted via email as 1 pdf file to:
Kim Copenhaver, FLA Scholarship Committee Chair, email@example.com Paper submissions will not be accepted.
Application packet (as 1 pdf file) must include:
- Completed application (Application must be signed by applicant)
- Current resume
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (Letters must be signed by recommender)
- Proof of enrollment (Letter of acceptance or current transcript)
- Proof of current FLA membership (For proof of membership contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please direct questions regarding the application process, to Kim Copenhaver, Chair, FLA Scholarship Committee; email@example.com