Florida Library Association Scholarships
The Florida Library Association (FLA) Scholarship Committee is pleased to announce that the application period for the 2016 FLA Scholarships is now open. The scholarships will be awarded in the spring of 2016 and scholarship recipients will be recognized at the 2016 Annual Conference.
The following scholarships are available:
Three (3) FLA MLS Graduate scholarships ($2000 each):
- Student attending the Florida State University MLS graduate program
- Student attending the University of South Florida MLS graduate program
- Minority scholarship for MLS graduate students attending either school
- To qualify for a Minority Scholarship, the candidate must belong to one of the following ethnic groups: Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian/Pacific Islander, or American Indian/Alaska Native.
Two scholarships for undergraduate study:
- Student pursuing a bachelor's degree ($750)
- Student pursuing an associate's degree ($350)
The FLA scholarships, established in 1989, are supported each year through donations and fundraising activities. The primary fundraising activities are held during the President's Reception at the FLA Annual Conference.
Applicants may apply for more than one scholarship if qualified.
- Applicant must be a resident of Florida and have some experience in a Florida library;
- be admitted to an accredited program at a Florida college or university or to a library/information graduate degree program at FSU or USF and not scheduled for degree completion in Spring 2016;
- commit to working in a Florida library for a minimum of one year after graduation;
- and be an FLA member in good standing for 2016.
- Applicants must include verification of membership as part of application packet. For proof of membership, contact Julie Murphree at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scholarship winners may be required to serve on an FLA committee during the year after graduation.
Deadline for submission of the application packet is Monday, November 2, 2015.
Applications received by Sunday, October 25 will be permitted to make corrections to the application package should deficiencies or omissions be identified by the Scholarship Committee. Applicants submitting on or after, Monday, October 26 will not have the privilege of making corrections or supplementing the application with missing information.
Complete application packets should be submitted via email as 1 pdf file to:
Andrew Todd, FLA Scholarship Committee Chair, Andrew.Todd@ucf.edu Paper submissions will not be accepted.
Application packet (as 1 pdf file) must include:
- Completed application (Application must be signed by applicant)
- Current resume
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (Letters must be signed by recommender)
- Proof of enrollment (Letter of acceptance or current transcript)
- Proof of current FLA membership (For proof of membership contact: email@example.com)
Please direct questions regarding the application process, to Andrew Todd, FLA Scholarship Committee; Andrew.Todd@ucf.edu